Monday, January 10, 2011

African Kuoni Holidays



I have never really understood why sane, typical, suburban or upper-middle class American citizens would voluntarily go on Kuoni holidays to someplace like Africa. It's so not America, so not western world. Those kinds of Kuoni holidays I just don't understand. I understand why Americans want to take Kuoni holidays to the Maldives, Thailand, and lots of other places. But a place that is stereotyped as so bare, so simple, so poverty stricken (even though I'm sure that it is much more westernized in reality than we like to think of it, that is as being so Sahara). I just couldn't figure it out.
I understand why people are attracted to the wide open spaces, the beauty despite the harshness, the exotic animals, and perhaps even the people who manage to be eternally alive and happy and present, generation after generation, despite difficult conditions. But why people would actually want to go stay there? Why people with air-conditioning, even in their cars, and with pest control and protection from the elements, with hospitals and fire fighters and police nearby no matter where they go in the country, why these people would chose to go someplace without all of this is beyond me.
Granted, some of them chose to go on Kuoni holidays to places in Africa with these things, like South Africa or other of the more prosperous African countries. And that makes much more sense to me. But the typical suburban family of four or five going on Kuoni holidays safaris? No way! Kids used to MP3 players, XM radio, malls, cell phone service, Direct TV, and every other comfortable American amenity would have a hard time adjusting, even if they were on Kuoni holidays. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if many of them are shocked by the conditions they have to put up with (a dirty bathroom? Eew!).
Well, I may not know why most people chose to do something like this (not that a large number of people do, but I digress), but I think it would be one of the more fun Kuoni holidays. Because it would (hopefully) be one of the less wealthy-westerner-resort style Kuoni holidays. I would love to be able to go on one of these someday, though I am not holding my breath in hope or anticipation. Even if I could save up the money, I'm still skeptical. Very. But, it would be one of the greater of the Kuoni holidays.


No comments:

Post a Comment